11/2/11

Emails Aren’t Frivolous



I sat at my desk with the Business White Pages open, dialing numbers in hopes that someone would need a sign or a car wrap or a banner or something. I was still in the A’s. My 50-calls-a-day goal was fading fast.

Then I got a bite. Someone said he was thinking of ordering stickers. I started working on a quote and had to email Susan. She’s my daughter and salesperson and she is at her computer 24/7 and she answers fast. (Just like in person, come to think of it.) I asked her how to figure a price on stickers and she replied, “How many colors?” I emailed back and we continued the discussion which, with Susan, turned out to be a lot easier than a person-to-person discussion because she wasn’t able to interrupt me.

Between emails, I made another call. I was approaching the half-way mark on my goal.

Then Susan sent a funny email and I laughed and dialed another number, left a voicemail, then got a voice prompting me to “press one for a company directory.” I dialed another one, and shot a quick email back to Susan while I waited through several rings. She emailed back and I laughed again. I started sending emails a lot. I needed some laughs.

I used to think Susan was goofing off when she was alone at her computer laughing at what I called her “frivolous” emails. Now I’m a salesperson (or maybe a wannabe) and I know the rest of the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment