8/7/10

DIGITAL BILLBOARDS

I'm on my soapbox today. Sorry, guys. My family owns a sign shop. We sell signs, and Barry Saunders (a News & Observer columnist) wrote about my favorite topic - signs. It seems the Durham City Council has once again unanimously voted down digital billboards. This is not good. We sign guys have seen too many businesses lose money because of city ordinances. I guess none of the city leaders uses signs.

God bless Barry Saunders for covering what he calls a "civil-despite-lasting-more-than-four-hours debate." (And he doesn't even own a sign shop!)  One city employee apparently reasoned, "The current ordinance has stood the test of time." Gee. I've never heard "Get lost. We've always done it this way," stated so eloquently.

I admit that digital signs do distract motorists. But doesn't that mean they work? And doesn’t that means they sell products? So let's find good ways to use them - not outlaw them completely!


No comments:

Post a Comment