8/17/10

CITY MOUSE AND COUNTRY MOUSE

Back in 1985 we moved from Raleigh to the tiny town of Green Lake, Wisconsin. It was like living in the 50s again. When we bought our house, the owner couldn't find the keys. Children were safe riding bikes on Main Street - except when the ducks were crossing! I could leave my car running while I zipped in to the Post Office, unless it was closed for lunch.

In Green Lake, neighbors looked out for each other. In Raleigh, we got together to organize Community Watch groups.

In a Raleigh movie theatre I didn't dare let my children go to the lobby for popcorn alone. In Green Lake - well, they didn't have a movie theatre - but I could drive them to the next town and drop them off.

In Raleigh my children went to dance lessons with one group of friends and Scouts with another. In Green Lake, everyone did everything together because there wasn't that much to do, anyway.

In Raleigh my daughter confessed that when the fifth grade teacher left the room, the kids break-danced on top of their desks. In Green Lake, let a kid get out of line and the parents knew it before the kid got home!

I wish everyone could have a Green Lake for just a little while. I'll be fair and tell you the other side of the coin in another story. But for now, as a great author once said, "We must let Uncle Wiggily and the Littletails and Nurse Jane sleep quietly. For tomorrow will be another day."

No comments:

Post a Comment