8/15/10

SNAKESKIN

I Samuel 16:23 And whenever the harmful spirit [another translation calls it the "tormenting" spirit] from God was upon Saul, David took the lyre and played it with his hand. So Saul was refreshed and was well, and the harmful spirit departed from him.

Snakes are part of God's plan. But to me, they are a bad part! In fact, I guess I'd call a snake a "harmful spirit."

I was in fifth grade. A friend had come home with me to play, and we were playing cowboys and Indians. (I liked that better than dolls. Or maybe it's a tie.) Anyhow, the cowboy was after me, and I found a hiding place in our garage. This garage had no doors and was under the house where snips and snails and puppy dog tails roamed. Tired and sweaty from running, I flung myself into a lawn chair that was down there. Panting, I leaned my head back, opened my eyes, and there, directly above my head, was a snake hanging from the ceiling rafter! You can imagine the pandemonium that took place after that.

Later, I got the nerve to tiptoe to the garage and peek around the corner. The snake was still there. He wasn't moving. I tiptoed closer, and soon I was close enough to see that it was a snake skin. You learn many lessons on the path of life, and that day I learned not to necessarily believe what appears to be true.

1 John 4:1 "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment