8/27/10

LEARNING ABOUT COMPUTERS

When we started our business, I knew nothing about running a business. But I did know how to use a computer.

When our family got our first Apple computer in 1986, I thought I had met my Waterloo. A few months went by. My children used the computer. I procrastinated. After all, I had a typewriter. I found a gazillion excuses not to learn it. The instructions were confusing. The disk drive was too slow. The kids weren't at home during school hours to answer my questions. Finally I set aside a whole month to tackle the thing.

The computer and I were not on friendly terms. I kept thinking about the woman who got so mad that she attacked her computer with a butcher knife. I wasn't going to get mad at a machine. It was merely a tool and couldn't think - although my son insisted that it could at least think better than I could.

I did learn to use the contraption. It's now 2010 and I'm pretty good at it, but it hasn't stopped infuriating me. I keep thinking about that butcher knife!

No comments:

Post a Comment