8/8/10

MODERN VIEW OF GOD


Monday's headline was, "Pastor Sticks Up for Modern View of God." Sounded interesting, so I started reading. I don't think this man gives ordinary people much credit. He says ministers have a more nuanced understanding of the faith than their congregations. He says ministers speak in literal terms that are actually metaphors. They assume their "more sophisticated" members will understand this. Is he implying that most Christians are barbarians? (Well, I won't pursue that.) Anyway, he says it's a charade.

Baloney! Now you tell me - What does he think ministers understand that traditional Christians don't? He doesn't believe in a God on a sky throne. Hey - bulletin! Most people don't! He believes God is a "process of mysterious cosmic creativity that makes for greater love and justice…a force working within human beings and nature." Well, duh! The most literalistic, indoctrinated Christians also give God credit for that!

I'm thinking this guy is missing the boat. He takes his theory to the brink of a big sea of truth and knowledge, takes a look at the abyss, and turns tail and runs!

Here's a metaphor for you: There was another headline recently about a bullfighter in Mexico City. He describes the moment when he saw the bull charge: "I felt a deep fear, and I decided no, no, and no." He turned and ran, dropping his cape on the way and jumping over the ring's wall. "I decided that was it. Let somebody else who has the ability and the courage take the opportunity."

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful that when life presents it's "bulls" that God stands in for me, donning the red cape!!!

    ReplyDelete