8/29/10

FIRST MUSIC LESSON


I decided that every child should memorize the books of the Bible in order. It's one of God's most important gifts to them, and most kids don't know what's in the package. So I wrote two songs using tunes children would know. The Old Testament is "Frosty the Snowman" and the New Testament is "London Bridge." I planned to teach them to the children at our church. Was I delusional? Every time I've tried to teach young children, it has been a disaster. Maybe this time it would be different.

I volunteered to do it. No one took me up on it. I volunteered again the next year. Again, no interest. I wonder if the Sunday School leaders had heard me sing. Then the next year, they bribed me. I could do it if I helped teach a class. The class had six children. None of them had ever heard of London Bridge! Or maybe they just wanted me to quit singing.

The next year, I sang my songs to the Sunday School teachers and they said to go for it. They suggested I go more slowly so the kids could understand the words.

My big day came. I stood before 40 kids who started talking as soon as they saw me. Another more skilled teacher got them to quiet down, and I proceeded with my schpeel about the Bible, and then the song. They loved it! Of course, I had prayed frantically all the way to church that morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment