12/23/11

Cooking for Thanksgiving


My niece says the Thanksgiving meal is hard to cook when you only have three people because you have to cook everything yourself.

May I add this: Cooking for eighteen or so (I lost count) is a MESS! Don’t get me wrong. I love to cook, and I love to get the family together. But here’s the deal.

On Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I had to re-arrange the house. This forced me to clean it. Then I got all my stuff in the kitchen laid out and ready, and found I had to go to the store for more stuff.

The dinner went well. There were lots of leftovers. I sent food home with everyone. There were still leftovers. I stuck two pies in the freezer for Christmas, then put all sorts of food in pans and finished stuffing the freezer tighter than the turkey.

Next I cleaned gravy pots and potato bowls, stuffing pans and bread pans, four cranberry sauce dishes (one per table and one for the feeding line), relish dishes, butter dishes, etc etc etc.

On Friday I put the house back the way it was before the big event. It seemed like I had forgotten something, but everything looked spic and span.

Saturday I found the turkey roaster on top of the refrigerator, with all the grease and gunk still in it! It's a good thing I enjoy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment