2/4/12

BOB ROSS




Bob Ross is one of the artists on public TV. When I was a practicing artist, I felt it apropos to look down my nose at Bob Ross’s art. My artsy peers called it “shorthand art.” They boasted, “real artists” don’t use formulas.

Now I have retired and I don’t give a hoot what “real artists” do. (Come to think of it, I don’t give a hoot about a lot of things.) I enjoy watching Bob Ross paint his “happy little squirrels.” I like his soft voice and encouraging attitude when he tells you to just do whatever you want. This is your painting, so put your happy little trees or little mountains and streams where you want them. You can add a little cloud up here or a little flower over there if it suits you.

These days I do just that - I do what I want, go where I want, and watch what I want on TV, and if the Rembrandts in this world can’t understand that, well, they’ll figure it out when they retire.

No comments:

Post a Comment