3/25/14

CHILI COOK-OFF



I went to my first Chili Cook-Off in 1985.  My taste buds were impatient as the air filled with aromas of garlic, Tabasco sauce, and who-knows-what. Anything goes in these recipes – even moose.  OK, I guess that’s acceptable. 

I was working for the local paper at the time, and my job was to get some pictures of the judges.  When the cook-off ended, they took samples to the judges’ table. 

My mouth was watering.  I took some pictures, then headed for the chili tent.  It only took me a couple of dives into the swarming mob to get to the chili pots.  They were emptying fast, but I did manage to sample enough to catch my mouth on fire. 

I’ve got to hand it to the judges.  They had a tough job!  How can anyone taste samples from thirty-five pots of hot chili and live to tell it?  At the end of the judging, I went back over there to see how they were doing, and I was sure glad I hadn’t waited until then to take their pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment