9/18/14

ONE WEEK OFF DUTY



I am a caregiver.  I am going to fly away for a week and leave my husband in the loving hands of four trustworthy and caring caregivers.  George has told me in no uncertain terms that he doesn’t feel safe, knowing my ability to leave things un-thought-of.  Hey, he’s got memory problems but he’s not stupid!

I'm typing notes to tape on the refrigerator.  I'm typing a list of frequently called phone numbers - like Time Warner Cable technical help.  I’m making an Excel schedule layout and a To-Do-Before-I-Go list.  So far, I’ve got seven pages. 

And there's the medication.  That's a bear to manage in itself, but now I'm ordering enough to last until my leave-taking, then to last through that week, then to last through the next week because I can't run get more the day I get back, since the pharmacy needs a couple of weeks to mail it.  I’ve bought four more pill dispensers.

One of the new caregivers was here to meet us the other day but she didn’t meet Cat Mojo.  She saw my note about being sure Mojo has plenty of water and asked, "So you call him Mojo?"  (referring to George).  Is this an omen?

I will live by Murphy’s Law for the next couple of weeks.  Then you might hear my cheers overhead as the plane flies away into the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment