12/6/14

CHRISTMAS BIRTHDAY PARTY



Ah, Christmas!  I love the lights, the trees, the bows and bells and colors, the carols (especially Santa Baby!) – it’s all crazy-fun!  It’s a birthday bash, with presents and wine and laughter but no toast to the honoree who, by the way, is absent.  There’s just something wrong with this picture!

I emailed my kids.  Trying to be subtle as only a mom knows how to botch, I suggested that we all write emails to each other about what we’d like to celebrate at Christmas.  Hearing their “not again” in my mind, I added, “That way our Christmas day would be all fun” (I thought that was a nice touch) “and we could just have a prayer of thanks and go on celebrating.”  Not hiding my agenda very well, I added, “If we wanted to talk about something someone wrote, it would be OK but not necessary.”

Of course, no mother’s suggestion is authentic without a threat:  “Or I could prepare a sermon (LOL!  Just kidding!)  and you could yell “amen” and “Tell, it Preacher!”

No comments:

Post a Comment