10/25/10

HALLOWEEN

I didn't think Halloween could get any better, but this year topped them all, thanks to my ten-year-old son Fred.  His main interest was getting the candy!  Lots of candy!  All the candy you can carry!

Fred began creating his costume about two months ago when he purchased two cans of spray paint for his hair.  On Halloween, my husband and I looked at his "normal" hair style and figured he really didn't need the paint.  His rat tail and his too-long flat top, held stiff as a board with mousse, would scare the pants off anyone. 

Five minutes before trick-or-treating time, Fred started on the rest of his costume.  He dug an old shirt out of his drawer, ripped it to shreds, put it on, grabbed a grocery bag, and headed for the car.  I offered to draw a jack-o-lantern on the bag.  "Mom!  No way!" was all the thanks I got.

I picked up his friend Eric, who began struggling to get into his headless horseman costume in the car.  I picked up Jamie, whose grass skirt wouldn't stay on.  Then I drove the punk rocker, the Hawaiian tourist, and the headless horseman into town, listening to their debate about which streets gave the most candy.  Do all the kids in town spend their year planning these strategies?

We drove past some bright jack-o-lanterns and I said, "Look at that!"  Fred and Jamie said, "Wow!" and Eric said, "Where?"  We passed a toddler dressed in a ballerina costume, and I said, "Isn't she adorable?" and Eric said, "Where? Where?"  We passed a familiar looking goblin and I asked, "Who's that?"  Eric's voice again, "Where? Where?"  I realized that Eric had finally gotten into his headless horseman costume and couldn't see a thing.

Later that night, after all the homes were stripped of candy and Fred's belly was full, I watched him sleeping and wondered at his ability to have so much fun after raking leaves, walking six miles for the Cancer Drive, and skateboarding all afternoon.  I guess there's always enough energy left for Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. This story just warms my heart as it reminds me of all the fun times I enjoyed with your family. It also brought to mind the time you helped Susan and me with our Jack-in-the-box costumes. It was ridiculous getting around in the those near-refrigerator sized boxes. All good memories!!!

    Angie (Grahn) Lois

    ReplyDelete