7/6/12

While living in Wisconsin from 1985 until 1988,
I started writing stories about my experiences there. 
The next series of Hugh Mouse Tells Stories
will give you many of these stories. 

SNOW!  NOT AGAIN!
Part of a series of stories I wrote while living in Wisconsin in the 80s

When my husband George told me he had a job opportunity in Wisconsin, I agreed to move there.  I knew nothing about Wisconsin.  Our son (second grade at the time) asked if they spoke English there.  (Turns out they spoke better English than I did.)  I decided to make the most of it.  Perhaps I would learn to like cold weather.  And white Christmases would be nice.

On our first house hunting trip we landed in Milwaukee in a blizzard.  George could read my mind as it did its female thing and changed.  I stared at the people at the airport to see if they were out of their minds.  I marveled that they were talking and laughing like nothing was happening outside.  My fears started subsiding but they quickly heightened at the car rental counter where I overheard a story about some ladies getting stranded in the snow and getting frostbite, and how it was a good thing their lungs didn’t freeze.  Huh?  I didn’t know that could even happen!

Another house hunting trip brought us to Green Lake on the weekend in 1985 when chill factors went to 80 below zero!  We moved in March.  As the spring thaw advanced, I noticed a smell of cow manure in the air.  “This is Wisconsin?” I wondered.  Later I learned that the smell only lasts long enough for the spring spreading.  It turned out to be a wonderful summer, except for the tornado. 

Then the snow started.  In November.  Snow was still a novelty for me, and I liked it.  But by January it was two feet deep – and that was just in our driveway.  I was desperate for warmth.  George took me to the tropical dome at Mitchell Park in Milwaukee.  It made my pain worse. 

I did learn to love the winters, and the wonderful little town of Green Lake.  But I didn’t thaw out until we moved south again!

No comments:

Post a Comment