2/22/11

CHURCH RETREAT

A human being can’t persuade Junior High kids to attend something they don’t want to attend.  I saw a brochure announcing a Christian retreat weekend for youth.  I almost didn’t bother - but on Sunday I decided to mention it to the kids in our class. 

Monday night my daughter asked me who was going on the retreat.  I said, “Nobody.”  She said four girls wanted to go, and could she go, too?  This coming from my child?  The one who will not even discuss church camp?

“Sure,” I choked. 

When she got off the phone I called the parents to see if this was for real.  Yes, yes, yes, and yes.  Five, counting my daughter. 

Later, I had to find a student willing to be a greeter at church Sunday.  The first one I called said, “No, because that’s the weekend of the retreat.”

“Oh?  You’re going too?”

I called around to rearrange some dates for the greeters and uncovered five more who were planning to go.

Eleven!  And by Thursday there were fourteen!  I called the person in charge of the retreat.  “We really hadn’t planned on such a large response,” she said.  “Could your church send an adult to help out?”

“Sure.”

No comments:

Post a Comment