5/18/11

First Birthday



It was nephew Logan’s first birthday. Aunt Anna, dressed as an ostrich, came running out to the car to greet us. Balloons framed the door - balloons with leopard spots and tiger stripes.

I walked in and looked for a place to put my gift. Then I saw the cake. Oh, the cake! My mouth started watering. The cake was decorated to look like a beautifully wrapped gift. It had three layers, each a different color, with little icing animals climbing around it. I love cake.

The honoree was napping and the rest of us were having fun - old folks, young folks, toddlers. I played with little Lila, blowing a feather around the room. Probably an ostrich feather. I picked up the balls the kids tossed out of the ball pool and tossed them back in. I ate chicken wings and drank beer and nibbled chips and dip, but I kept eyeing that cake! I love cake.

To my dismay, the time came when our little group had to leave - and the cake wasn’t even cut yet! Fortunately, our driver Tim wasn’t ready to go. The birthday honoree was awake and Tim was taking pictures of little Logan blowing out the candles on that beautiful cake and then burrowing his face into the little cupcake they had made just for him. I wanted him to hurry up so they would cut the big cake before we left.

I said to no one in particular (and more loudly than I intended), “I love cake!” Finally! Someone started cutting and brought me a piece. I hope I wasn’t the only one wanting a piece of that cake. I hope there was someone in the crowd thinking, “I sure am glad she made a fool of herself so they’d cut that darn cake!”

No comments:

Post a Comment