5/22/11

Yellow Hospital Gown

We went to visit my mother-in-law before her hip surgery. A hospital employee came in and did whatever he does. I’m not sure what he does because all I remember is the yellow gowns. Anyway, as he was leaving, he took a yellow paper hospital gown from a container on the door and said, “You have to wear this.” I said, “Me?” He said yes, everyone has to wear them. It’s for the protection of the patient. Sounded good, but I had been there all day and hadn’t seen anyone wearing them.

However, I accepted the yellow paper garment. It had elastic at the wrists, making the arms puffy, and it tied in the back, making the top portion and bottom portion puffy. Pretty soon, three of us visitors had them on. (One had escaped into the hall.) I looked at the three of us and decided we looked like those yellow marshmallow chicks in an Easter basket. George’s brother said they’re called “Peeps.” He’s a grandpa and knows these things.

About that time, Nurse William stuck his head into the room and asked us what in the world we were doing. I told him about the guy who had told us to put them on. I think William is still laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment