3/10/12

CONSERVATORS’ CENTER

I went with a friend to see some lions and tigers in a conservatory.  Beautiful animals!   I learned things about cats that Mojo (the master of our house) hadn’t taught me yet.  For instance, when he opens his mouth slightly and inhales, he’s smelling things.  I thought he was just making a face at me.

Before we started, our fearless leader warned us not to run, whatever we do.  I almost ran right then.  But she quickly assured us that the only reason we might even think about running was if a cat sprayed us.  Lovely.  She said the reason we weren’t to run was that it makes cats think humans are food - and she is the human who feeds them every day.  This woman knows what’s important.

She walked us past some non-cat type animals, like singing dogs and Kinkajous and other such critters that I can’t remember (you can look at the website if you want to:  http://www.conservatorscenter.org/animals.cfm).  When we stopped to look at the friendly wolves, she said, “Our wolves love children.  But not the creepy way the cats love children.”

At one of the lion cages, our leader “oofed.”  That’s when you cup your hands around your mouth and make a ridiculous sound real loud, and a lion oofs back from off in the distance.  Then a lion beside you oofs back at him.  Then they all start oofing to each other and you get surround sound.  As the oofing continued, one lion remained sprawled out on her back trying to catch a few rays.  My friend observed, “Obviously, life is tough here!”


No comments:

Post a Comment