3/6/12

CUTTING UP A CHICKEN

A steak knife with a serrated blade is very useful sometimes, but I started married life thinking it was a one-size-fits-all kitchen knife.  Never having used a sharp knife in my life, I thought serrated blades were God’s gift to the world.  They cut through anything.  And if they didn’t cut it, I made them tear through it.

About a week before I got married, my mother taught me how to cut up a chicken.  I did not pay attention to the knife. 

A chicken has a strange shape and it’s slippery.  There is not a flat side.  My technique for cutting it in half was to anchor it in the sink drain, parson’s nose down, and brutally force that steak knife down through the ribs/backbone.  After splitting it in two, I put it on a cutting board and proceeded to prove that it is not impossible to saw through slimy, stretchy chicken skin with a steak knife. 

A few years ago I asked my father-in-law to teach me how to sharpen a knife with a sharpening steel.  He tried his best, but I never got it.  That Christmas my mother-in-law gave me a rolling wheel knife sharpener.  I highly recommend them.


No comments:

Post a Comment