9/12/11

Graduation Day


Do you like graduations? I don’t. Heck, I didn’t even like my own. Everyone else was sentimental, with tears and hugs, while I was grinning from ear to ear when I shook the president’s hand, grabbed that diploma, and trotted off the stage squelching a scream.

It’s a ceremony. A ritual. And such a pain! My great niece graduated the other day, and her mom’s email said it all: “The graduation was LONG, LONG, LONG!!! Being a ‘B’ for Briscoe, our daughter’s ‘walk’ came up fairly quickly. But after that, I thought it would never end! With nothing else to do, I actually had time to count (twice for accuracy) the 2,300 graduates sitting in their chairs. Apparently many parents had gone through this before, because they had brought rather large books to read!”

To graduate from college is indeed an honor. You’ve accomplished a major undertaking. So put on your robe and mortarboard and do your thing. Just don’t ask me to sit patiently - because it ain’t gonna happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment