9/23/11

TRAILER PARK LOT

When my husband and I were engaged, he picked me up one day at the school where I was doing my student teaching and handed me a slip of paper with something scrawled on it. It was our new address! A small shady lot on a corner in McSwain’s Trailer Park in Cary. Now how much more romantic can you get? This marriage thing was starting to look real. That was forty years ago.

Recently we were driving through Cary and I said, “Let’s go see if that trailer park is still there.” Sure enough, it was. He pointed to a lot and said, “That’s it. I think.” I said, “No, I think it’s this way. Let’s look for the one with no back yard.” We didn’t have steps in the back, but you could exit by jumping out the door if you needed to.

Eventually we identified our lot by the retaining wall beside the driveway where I knocked off a hubcap. Sweet memories. The lot didn’t look too good that day. But then, neither do I after forty years!

No comments:

Post a Comment