1/15/11

FILE CABINET

There it stood, tall and alone.  All the office furniture was gone except one five-drawer file cabinet.  It hadn’t looked so tall among the desks and stuff. 

Natalie and Tommy were coming to pick it up.  When they walked in, Natalie said, “Wow.  It’s taller than I thought.”  I remembered then that she had asked and I had given her a rough guess.

I followed them out the door.  What?  A van?  How in the world did they expect to get this monster into a van?  When I saw them open the side door instead of the back, I knew we were in trouble.  They tipped the file cabinet and aimed it at that door.  I thought of my mom trying to get into her girdle. 

It went through the opening.  Natalie works with children, so I guess she has experience fitting square pegs into square holes.  But I still fast forwarded to the scene where it would be sticking out both sides of the van. 

They shoved it in, and it kept going and going and going.  I was sure the door on the far side of the van was shut, but where was that thing going?  Before my mind could rewind and adjust to the reality I was seeing, they gave it a final push and shut the door - with room to spare!

“She’s good at packing,” Tommy said.  No shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment