1/29/11

BLACK ICE

I’m not a curious neighbor.  In fact, a house could burn down and I wouldn’t notice it until spring.  But this particular morning, the forecast was for black ice!  I got up early to get things done on my computer before the trees started falling on the power lines.  I opened the blinds to see the road and I saw my neighbor’s car lights across the street. 

I stayed at the window and waited.  I wanted to see what was going to happen to this fool (sorry, neighbor!) when he backed into the street on black ice. 

The scene made me shiver.  I hurried to the kitchen for a cup of hot tea.  Back to the window.  His car was still there.  In a few minutes I dashed to the living room and opened the rest of the blinds.  Came back and watched a while more. 

I cranked up the thermostat.  That didn’t take long.  Back to the window.  The car was still there. 

I headed upstairs to my computer to get that work done, expecting the current to kick off any minute.  From upstairs I had a good view of the dark, icy road.   Instead of turning on the light, I decided to watch my neighbor just a little while longer.  After all, I had invested a lot of time in this venture. 

I turned on the computer in the dark.  Every few minutes, I twisted my neck to peer out the window over my shoulder.  It got light outside.  My neck got tired, so I turned on the light and forgot about him.  Later in the day I looked out and his car was gone.  Such a disappointing end to my great expectations.  It’s just too much trouble to be a nosey neighbor!

No comments:

Post a Comment