6/17/11

Harnessing Marilyn

My grandpuppy Marilyn is a two-year-old Collie mix who has been in charge since she was a pup. She’s getting a little more submissive as time goes on – how long will it be, Lord? She has outgrown wetting the floor and chewing up shoes and furniture. But she still leads Susan on a leash, and she has gotten big and strong and pulls Susan down to the concrete. Ouch!

When I dog-sat Marilyn I was determined she wouldn’t pull me down, and I bought her a choker collar with metal spokes. (Aren’t you glad I don’t have human grandchildren?) It did the trick for a little while. But time went on and Marilyn got more nervous and more easily spooked and was barking and growling at everything that walked by. I suggested a shock collar. But my husband (the understanding and wise one in the family) said to Susan, “Just try a harness.”

Sure enough, Marilyn started behaving on her very first harness walk. Apparently, what made Marilyn nervous and fighting-mad was not garbage trucks or other dogs. It was her fear of the collar itself! I think I lost my grandmother status.

No comments:

Post a Comment