6/23/11

Sneads Ferry



My friend asked how in the world I could get lost in the tiny, tiny town of Snead’s Ferry, half of which is bounded by the water. I informed him that it was real easy. I’d done it lots of times!

This time I had a Google map, but I couldn’t remember the name of the restaurant – let alone the street name. I knew it was beside a dock and that it’s worth the effort to find it. So I just Googled “Sneads Ferry NC.” Then I saw why I had gotten lost.

Sneads Ferry is a spider web of a town that lies on several points (or spits or promontories or whatever you call them) jutting out into the water, with a main road leading out to each point and many side roads branching off fishbone style. I headed down one of the main roads. The closer to the water I got, the more each side road looked like it led to a dock. I drove down several, and made a lot of U-turns. I got hopeful once when my husband said, “I recognize this road.” In his dreams! I took another main road, with the same results.

I’m bull-headed, you know. I don’t ask for directions. But this time I did. We stopped at a store, described the restaurant, and we were there within five minutes.

After a fabulous meal, we headed for home. I guess the planets just weren’t in alignment that day, because I missed a few turns coming home and got lost in eastern North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment