10/5/11

List of Notes From To-Do List




About a “To-Do” list, British author Mark Forsterof (Do It Tomorrow) says it’s natural to panic and enter “triage mode.” Great word, “triage.” I love to triage. I can put off a To-Do list for at least a week by organizing it into subcategories. Maybe I should just cut to the chase and call it a “Put-Off” list.

Even though I’m constantly marking things off my To-Do, it still grows until I have to do something about it. That’s because there are things I don’t want to forget but I don’t know where else to write them down. Things like, “Wendell Farmer’s Market is open Wednesday afternoons.” It’s something I want to remember in case the opportunity arises. Where would you put that?

Then there’s, “Mailed letter to insurance company on July 10.” I could mail it and just forget it. But I have to check (at some random future moment) whether the matter was taken care of. Sure, I have a copy of the letter filed somewhere. But how will I remember to look at the letter?

I’ve invented a new list. I call it my “List of Notes From To-Do List.” I’m going to patent the concept some day. I’ll make a note to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment