2/14/14

I DO HEAR THAT, DON’T I?




I about fell on the floor laughing.  My husband, who has dementia himself, told me I’m getting senile, but that he loves me just the way I am.  It all started when my cell phone rang. 

I was at my desk when it rang.  The sound came from the wall at the corner of the desk, but I didn’t see the phone there.  As I stared like a deer in the headlights, the ringing stopped.  In the silence, I thought, “Maybe it’s somewhere else in the house,” but no, a little bell notified me of a message – and the little bell was definitely in that corner.  Shaking my head, I dialed it from my land line - and of course, it still rang from that empty corner.  (Isn’t there a quote about trying the same thing the same way and getting the same wrong result?)

Sticking my head below the desk, I could tell that the sound definitely wasn’t coming from under there.  I opened the cabinets above the desk, but the sound wasn’t coming from there.  Surveying the desk again, I thought, “Well, it could be inside that address book.”  No.  “Would it possibly fit in the pencil holder?”  Not there.  I looked under all four pieces of paper in that corner.  I looked under the desk and in the cabinets again.  I stared at the corner wall.  “This just can’t be.”  Putting my ear to the desk and following the sound, I knew it was definitely coming from the corner wall.  There was nothing else on the desk!  Nothing except the monitor gadget I had plugged in to charge.  The monitor!  The baby monitor!  It picks up sounds in the bedroom while my husband naps!  The phone was in the bedroom!

Don’t ask me how I handle complicated problems, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment