3/10/10


INTERRUPTIONS

Interruptions can bring work to a standstill. Not the short, one-time-and-it's-over type, like deliveries or customer calls. It's the ones that go on and on.

Interruptions never stop. Someone asks if anyone knows where a pencil is. Does anyone want anything from McDonalds? Or what time's that delivery coming? Or was it even ordered? Or someone screams at a computer. Temper tantrums. (Oh yes. We are a family business!)

I admit that I'm as guilty as anyone. When I interrupt Fred's work to tell him about something, in about two minutes I'll think of something to add to it. Another couple of minutes and I'll ask something else about it, or ask if I indeed told him about it or if I just thought I did. It's "chatter," and it will drive a person crazy. I can't stop doing it. Susan's even worse than I am. (Come to think of it, she's why I know it will drive a person crazy!)

Now we have spread out. Susan and I moved our offices to our homes and Fred works at the shop. We email each other, and we email again if we forgot something. A person can read them all at once, cutting chatter time to zero. Our phone calls to each other are not too often, and they're brief. And when we hang up, it's over. We are all loving it!

1 comment: