3/14/10

VACATIONS


If you own a business, you have probably heard of the word “vacation” only in the context of despairing over what days your employees are planning theirs. But yours? Is that a joke?

When I take a vacation, it’s usually a Saturday stolen from a weekend. The yard needs work, the house needs cleaning, and the food needs buying. Somewhere in there I need to catch up on my bookkeeping. Know the feeling?

But there are some people whom I admire who have been in business for a long time and who have learned how to really take a vacation! It is best expressed in the following email from our friend and sign installer:

Subject: vacation time
Just want to give advance notice that I will be on vacation from August 3rd through August 10th. I will be at the beach ...in a chaise lounge ... probably with an umbrella protecting my delicate skin ... a book (and probably a beer) in hand ... reflective sunglasses on (so nobody knows what I'm actually looking at) ... and not a care in the world. Unless a job comes along that I can retire on, don't call ... don't write ... don't send a carrier pigeon ... don't send a message in a bottle (unless it comes in a beer bottle and the message is asking if I'd like another one). I think that about covers it.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment