3/8/10

Throwing Gravy


I talked to someone having relationship problems this afternoon. I remember the difficulties as my own marriage progressed. I eventually learned to share and communicate. It was hard.

I found out early on that my husband didn’t prioritize the same way I did. I told him one morning that I was going to cook him a great meal that night. Which I did. Then I waited. The meal got cold. I called him, and he had forgotten about it! Forgotten! Problems at work were more important to him than my fried chicken.

I threw the gravy on the pot of rice and stormed out of the house. He didn't love me! I drove to a friend's house and cried on her shoulder. I wondered if he got home and saw the chicken and felt bad because he had hurt my feelings. I called home - just to see if he was there. He answered. I slammed the phone down again.

After a few minutes, I called again planning to slam the phone down in his face. I did it, but it didn't feel any better. I finally drove home. I'm sure I must have sulked for a few days.

We've been married 39 years. I know lots of stuff now that I didn't know then - the concept that he's human, for example.

He loves me. He wants to make me happy. But it's impossible to fill every void in my life and snap your fingers and make insecurities go away. What do I know now? That he would if he could.

No comments:

Post a Comment