3/20/10

THREE DOZEN OYSTERS


I didn't want to go out to eat. I had about ten reasons. Usually, if I don't want to do something, I'll go along anyway and enjoy it. But I really, really didn't want to go out to eat that night! But we did.

As we drove to the restaurant, I said, "It's boring sitting there watching you eat oysters long after I'm through with my shrimp!"

He ate a dozen. Raw! The waitress told him he was brave. He grinned and kept slurping them out of the shell. Poor little live animals! I hoped they didn't have lead poisoning or something. I ate four shrimp.

He ordered the second dozen. I began to eat my fifth shrimp. Finished the slaw. Ate a couple more shrimp as slowly as I could manage. What would there be to do afterward? Nothing!

He tried to order the third dozen. No waitress in sight. We waited. And waited. I ate a couple more shrimp. Then he called down the bar to a busy oyster shucker, who found the waitress. He ordered. Shouldn't he be getting full now?

I started watching a man across the bar ordering and talking to the waitress. Didn't mean to eavesdrop. Just killing time. He saw me watching, said hello, and we started talking. He was very interesting to talk to. George was busy, although he did interject a comment or two between oysters.

He finished the oysters! We talked a while longer, then paid the tab and left. I had enjoyed the conversation very much. I started thanking God for the man and the interesting conversation. Then I thanked him for a wonderful and interesting man for a husband.

Now I re-read my journal often where it says, "Let him eat oysters the rest of his life!" And I smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment