4/17/10

Facebook Newby




I'm 61 years old and have never used Facebook. (Don't laugh. If you were born in l948, you wouldn't have a technology gene either.) Since I didn't want to be left in the dust, I joined Facebook. ("Joined"? There's another word for it. Somewhere.)

It's a weird website. There are different places for typing comments. Where do they go? You can click on people's pictures and type messages to them and never find your way back to where you started from. It's like trying to learn how to drive somewhere when you're taken a different way every time. Of course in my case, I don't know where I'm going.

I get emails confirming that people got my messages and sent a message back. But I can't find them. If I click on someone's home page and scan down it, I can find where they accepted me as a friend. If I click on my own name, I get a different page than when I first logged in. I try to go back with the arrow button and that doesn't work. Page Expired! I cannot navigate the thing!

Potential friends pop up at random. You might know them. Or maybe not.

You can invite one of those pop-ups to be your friend. If they accept, they go onto your "friends" list. I had to email someone to ask how to find that list!

You can poke people - just because. And you can give people a "thumbs up" if you like something they said. You can click on someone's picture and you'll go to their homepage and see all their messages and pictures of their friends. Hey - no one claimed this thing was private!!

There are games to play and other mysterious links to explore. I've been told that there's somewhere you can get these game messages out of your space. I look forward to finding that!

My next challenge - You Tube!

No comments:

Post a Comment