4/2/10

Work Van


I had to drive our work van. I opened the door and a blast of awful, disgusting, stale air almost knocked me down. What in the heck had the guys been doing in there? Then I saw it. In the cup holder sat a cup of cigarette butts in moldy water. Well, maybe it wasn’t old enough to be moldy, but I don’t even want to think about what was in it. Gagging, I gingerly removed the stink bomb and carried it to the nearest trash can.

This was not one of those days when I find a problem and quietly set about to figure out how to fix it. I pretty much went ballistic! Was that a stupid thing for an employer to do? Was I wrong to react so violently? After all, it’s just a van. (But it’s MY van!) And it’s only an odor. (But it’s going to SATURATE the upholstery!) Oh well, it’s not like they burned the van up or something. (But they COULD have!) And after all, isn’t a happy employee more important than a few dirty cigarettes? (SAY WHAT?!!)

Nope. I’ve thought this over carefully, and I’ve concluded that I’m RIGHT this time. NO SMOKING IN THE VAN, YOU GUYS!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a "gagger" by nature but here's one for you. My brother-in-law (who happens to be a tobacco chewer) and I were traveling together one time and had stopped for some coffee at a convenience store. Off we went with our coffee cups in the cup holders and soon I reached over for my coffee, raised it to my lips, and at the last possible moment realized there had been a third cup ... the one which my brother-in-law used for his tobacco spit. Had I taken a swig of that "glop" I'm sure there would have been some very unpleasant consequences for my traveling companion.

    ReplyDelete