11/13/14

DENTIST’S CHAIR





What do you do in the dentist’s waiting room?  Magazines.  There was this informative article about caregiving but it was a bait-and-switch because it put my emotions into the future and inevitable reality.

When they called me in and started making small talk, I discovered a lump in my throat and attempted to be courteous quietly.  (Henceforth I will be more understanding of people who rudely give short answers.) 

I grabbed the dark plastic glasses without making eye contact and eagerly got into the dentist’s chair so they would maybe stop asking me how I was and how my family was etc etc. 

For the first time in my life I was relieved when they put their tools into my mouth because it distracted me from thinking about caregiving.  But soon I had to laugh because I realized I had flipped back to caregiving to distract me from what was going on in my mouth.  So I flipped back and forth.  I just couldn’t make up my mind what to think about!

Life is full of mysteries.  Just give me a warning next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment