5/14/10

Primitive




The water in Cancun is blue! I mean, BLUE! And the beaches are WHITE. Sure, I expected to enjoy the hotel pool, but I was especially eager to get onto that white sand beach. We arrived around 5:00 and walked out on the beach. Egads! The sand stopped. We looked down, and the sand commenced about ten feet below us. It was a sand cliff! There were no steps down to the beach anywhere. Must be some sort of ordinance since the beach had been built up because of erosion. The only way down was to climb down a path that the tourists had made, and climbing back UP was quite a challenge! So I was looking forward to the snorkeling trip, where I could actually get in the water.

For our snorkeling experience, we were driven through the marshes on a bumpy road that had been built with rocks. I started worrying, but was happily surprised when we arrived at a little beach with palm trees, white sand, and the unbelieveably blue sky and Carribean sea - a truly exotic setting. After snorkeling (and swallowing a lot of salt water) our hosts treated us to drinks and fruit under thatched umbrellas and palm trees. I sat in a hammock. It was the first time I had ever done that. It wasn't difficult, and - you won't believe this - I didn't fall out!

But - let me tell you - this little oasis was primitive! The drinks eventually did what drinks do, and I went in search of a bathroom. I opened the door, and the sign said, "Do not put toilet paper in the toilet. Use the trashcan." Or words to that effect. Gee. The guidebook hadn't lied! Thank goodness there was running water and three decoratively painted ceramic basin sinks outside the bathroom. Our hosts did their best!

No comments:

Post a Comment