5/15/10

SNORKELING


I have snorkeled an average of three times in the last 40 years. But I'm a fish out of water, (in more ways than one) and I really should have gills and scales. (Well, sometimes I check for those scales, but it's just dry skin.) Anyway, I forget that not everybody feels at home in the water. George wasn't too excited about it. He likes dry land sports like football. But he agreed to go.

We went out on the boat and jumped over the side. George was the last one in, and he got a big swig of water. I heard some of the weirdest sounds behind me and turned around. I think he still had his snorkel tube in his mouth and was coughing, or something. I don't know. But that did it. He was NOT going to snorkel and wanted back in the boat. Unfortunately, the guide had different ideas.

George begrudgingly went along, or actually was towed along by the guide. This guy's name was "Angel," and he truly was. He helped with the snorkel tube, showed him how to get the water out of it (which was necessary pretty frequently), and got him relaxed enough to see the beautiful fish and corals. By the time we got back into the boat, I expected to get an earful from George. But what a shocker! He was ready to go again!


No comments:

Post a Comment