5/13/14

DEEP FAT FRYER



Annie was a lady I loved dearly when I was a child (er- baby mouse).  She was a loving, hard working soul, and she was a great cook.  Annie had no formal education, but she knew all kinds of practical things. 

I remember one day when I went to her for some information.  I had heard my friend talking about her mother’s “deep fat fryer.”  This was something new to me, and I didn’t want to embarrass myself by asking my friend what it was, so I decided to ask Annie.  After all, she knew everything there was to know about cooking.  That is, everything except what a deep fat fryer was.

She pretended not to hear me.  I persisted.  She got busy doing other things.  Totally insensitive to and unaware of Annie’s dilemma, I pursued the subject.  She said, “Let me think about it.”  Finally, she turned to me.  I waited expectantly.  She said, “A deep fat fryer is a chicken that you fry, and it’s fat.”

I knew that wasn’t right, but I kept my mouth shut, for once.  I had learned a valuable lesson.  Don’t put people on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment