6/18/12

COMPUTER REPAIR

My computer wouldn’t turn on and my son Fred told me I needed to install a new power supply.  He said I could simply take one from an old computer and install it.  Really? 

I happened to have two on death row.  After Fred told me what a power supply looked like (I thought it was a plug in the wall), I took it out of my computer, photographing every plug and wire in the thing as I went so that I could put another one in. 

Then I took the power supply out of one of the doomed computers and began installing it in the good one. (I say that loosely - both “installing” and “good.”)  It went well until I got to the last wire, which was TOO SHORT.  I stepped back to scream, then saw the obvious.  The computer itself was shorter.  Duh.  No wonder that wire was shorter.

Being pretty wired myself, I threw the power supply on the floor and snatched the other computer off death row.  I opened it up.  OMG!  It was packed with wires.  Fred had installed a second hard drive in it once upon a time. 

Perhaps it wouldn’t matter if I plugged in half the wires and left the others hanging?  . . .
Can you believe it?  It worked!  I’m a bona fide geek now! 

1 comment: