6/3/12

WHAT SIGN?

Between Knightdale, NC, and Bassett, VA, there’s a sign (probably) to turn right to stay on 86 bypass around Yanceyville.  Missed it.  And there’s a sign for the 58 bypass around Danville.  Missed it.  And there’s a sign to go to 220 North in Martinsville.  Missed it. 

I did see the sign for 57 North.  Yay!  Got one right!  Took it.  Got lost.  Several miles past nowhere, I stopped and called the funeral home, which was my destination.  Got good directions, but drove right past the funeral home, whose sign I missed. 

I stopped and called again and told the guy that I was at the Bassett High School.  He said, “Oh no!  I misunderstood where you were.  Take a left out of there and….miles and…..over river and….on left.”  Several miles later I stopped at a gas station and they said, “You passed it a few miles back. Take a left at the first light and it’s on your left.”  I think he said left. 

I passed Bassett High School again, then slowed down where I thought the funeral home should be, looking carefully at every sign on the left and swearing at myself for forgetting to use my Garmin.   Exasperated, I whipped into a parking lot on my right to put the address into my Garmin.  There was someone dressed in a suit in the parking lot.  Hey, this was the funeral home I was looking for!  And it was only two blocks from Bassett High School!  The dressed up man asked if I was the lady who had been calling him.  I said I was and didn’t he know Bassett High School was right there (pointing)?  He looked puzzled, then said, “Oh no! I thought you were at the new Bassett High School.”

I was there for a funeral, and I was sure ready for mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment