6/4/12


LOST IN WISCONSIN

The Wisconsin state slogan is “Escape to Wisconsin,” but I would change it to “Get Lost in Wisconsin” because when I lived there I stayed lost.  The good news is that there is not a prettier place to get lost.  The bad news is that the Marquis de Sade laid out the road system.  I discovered this one day when, on an unplanned shortcut, the road took a 90-degree right turn.  Not a curve.  Not a T-intersection.  A right angle, to go around a field.  After a few more miles, there was another 90-degree turn, and another and another. I didn’t have a clue where I ended up, but it sure wasn’t where I was going. 

The next time I had to drive to some place off the beaten path, I bought a county map.  That helped until I got to a crossroad with no signs.  At least it was daytime.  That makes it easier to see the end of the road when the STOP sign is missing.

(PS – Wisconsin is a wonderful, beautiful, friendly state – and I’m sure the road system is OK by now.  I wrote this in 1985.)

No comments:

Post a Comment