6/26/10

HIGH TECH FIFTIES - LIGHTING, AC, AND INTERCOM


My parents had a fascinating office when I was a kid in 1959. I would walk there after school, go get Cokes and Nabs for Mom and the others, and come back and rummage through the letters in the trash looking for stamps to add to my collection.


Our school had fluorescent lights, but the newspaper office was still old fashioned. We had light bulbs hanging from the ceiling.

We had an enormous air conditioner. It was as high as the ceiling, about two feet deep and maybe three or four feet wide. I’m not kidding! It was like those first gigantic computers. It was loud. It piped water out through a hole in the wall onto the flat roof of the one-story addition to the building. That roof held puddles of water most of the time, and I don’t know why it didn’t cave in!

Our high tech intercom system was a hole in the floor. Paperwork was transported between floors VIA a wheel and pulley, a rope, and a clothespin. When somebody downstairs banged on the wood box, the people upstairs pulled it up.

The "good old days" seem like a science fiction movie now!

No comments:

Post a Comment