6/15/10

LEARNING TO DRAW AGAIN

Not to complain, but I'm having the darnedest time learning to draw all over again! I was an artist for fifteen years. No kidding. A serious artist - selling paintings, teaching lessons, the whole nine yards. Now after a ten-year break I thought, well, it's like riding a bike. Once a rider, always a rider. (Come to think of it, I can't ride a bike any more, either!)

So I took a picture of a city scene with an old house and big trees in the foreground and the Raleigh skyline behind it. Martin Street, I think. I dusted off the old T-Square and as I began I pictured (pun intended) my masterpiece of Raleigh history. In a few days, I had ruined it. Maybe I picked something too complex to start on.

So I photographed a neighbor's house. Piece of cake. It only took four hours to ruin that one.

One more try, but this time I cheated and made a photocopy to practice on. You guessed it. Another disaster.

It took one more disaster before I got the hang of it, but even that wasn't the greatest. What's going on? Have I entered a time warp or something?

Oh well. At least I can still draw Hugh Mouse!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment