4/19/14

AGGRESSIVE WOMAN



----I wrote this 29 years ago


(Husband)  Aggressive men tend to marry aggressive women.

(Wife)  Oh yeah?  And what makes you think that?

(Husband)   Really?

Now how in the world would anyone get the impression that I am aggressive?  I’m only a mother and wife trying to do her job!  Just because I grabbed the dog by the skin and yelled profanities at him this morning, do my kids see me as “aggressive”?

Is “aggressive” good or bad?  My husband says if he had to choose someone to be in a foxhole with, he’d choose me.  I think that’s good.

When gathering information for an article I was writing, I intruded on two fishermen.  They were having a nice, lazy day, and up comes this female asking, “What’s that?” and “How do you do this?”  That probably goes a little beyond being aggressive, maybe bordering on obnoxious.

People don’t tell me I’m aggressive.  Sometimes they say, “I never thought you’d say that!” or “I heard of you before I met you.  I heard you were a real nice, sweet lady,” leaving me to wonder about the rest of the story. 

This week my former preacher sent me a sermon – no explanation, just a note saying he wanted to share it with me.  It was about the feminine revolution, with some Jungian philosophy thrown in about the maleness and femaleness in everyone.

I wrote this at age 37.  Now, at age 65, I’m a much kinder, gentler person.  To prove it to you, I asked my husband:

(Wife)   Am I an aggressive person?

(Husband,  after some cautious hesitation) I’d say you’re fairly aggressive.

At age 68, he still hasn’t learned the right answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment