4/23/14

HOW OLD ARE YOUR CHILDREN?



How old are my children?  That wasn’t a simple question to answer when I was a young mother writing this in my journal:

My children are nine and twelve, but you’ll never catch them acting like it.  One minute they are two and the next minute they are twenty. 

Take for example the green toenail.  I can remember when my son was terrified at the sight of his own blood.  Now he lifts his green toenail to show me what it looks like underneath – and watches me turn green!  This is not normal behavior for a nine-year-old, is it?  Don’t sixteen-year-olds do that sort of thing?  Don’t nine-year-olds just cry about a hurt toe and want mom to bandage it?  I am guessing.  I really don’t know what a nine-year-old would do. Mine doesn’t give me a clue.

My twelve-year-old daughter isn’t any better.  Sometimes she’s age two and romping in the woods, free of inhibitions, or screaming bathroom words at her brother.  Then she might change in an instant and give me motherly advice on handling my temper and show me how to style my hair with mousse.

I’m not so ready to give up those childish, immature, impossible moments.  I’m standing on the edge of a cliff looking down into the deep, dark unknown future – teenagers.  And I can’t back up because there is a forest fire behind me burning up the past at breakneck speed.  But for now, one is nine and one is twelve – and I’m 912 and getting grayer every minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment