4/24/14

ICE CREAM IN THE LIVING ROOM



Parents should have an animal training course before having kids.  Not that I’m making any comparisons.  But some basic training skills would help.

Case in point.  Kids will invariably, inevitably, predictably, and downright irritatingly leave their ice cream dishes in the living room.  (I know they aren’t supposed to have them there in the first place, but that’s another whole story.)  I have spent years cleaning up after them and fussing.  No animal trainer in his right mind would handle it that way.  He’d probably spend some time leading the critter through the movements, or SOMETHING!  What kind of things is a parent supposed to do?  Aren’t there some basic training skills I should know?

Maybe I could reward them with a goody when they get it right.  But when will that happen?

Maybe I could place the empty dish, soggy napkin, and sticky spoon in the child’s hands and oh so gently lead him or her to the kitchen sink.  But when will that happen?

Maybe after nagging and hearing “just one more minute” and “at the next commercial” six times (consistency, you see), I could yell, “JUST DO IT!”

I’ll just bet that an animal training course right after the rabbit dies is the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment