4/17/14

MELODIC CURSES

I like birds.  I really do.  They are pretty.  They sing beautifully. 

My neighbors on the floor above our apartment feed the birds.  The balcony is made of slats of boards, and sunflower seed shells fall through the cracks constantly.  I get to sweep up the residue without the pleasure of seeing the birds.  At least I don’t get the bird crap.  It doesn’t fall through!

I used to think birds ate the whole seed.  I never knew they shelled them until many years ago when my daughter owned parakeets.  Those fine feathered miscreants could have been on piece rate for their seed shelling skills.  They threw the hulls on the floor.  Then, for icing I guess, they shook their downy feathers through the cage bars.

When they got a new cuttlebone (which they must have, along with vitamin drops in their water and vitamin supplements in their seed so that they could keep up their energy for throwing seed shells and shaking off feathers), they creatively mixed white powder with the feathers and seed hulls.

Springtime is here.  People are doing bird counts and stuff.  Just let me look at them.  That’s close enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment