4/13/14

FLY RAMPAGE



Written in Green Lake, WI, in 1986

Someone left the door open at our house the other day.  The mosquitoes and flies didn’t need a second invitation.  I guess they thought we were a wildlife preserve or something.  I thought God had sent an eleventh plague to Green Lake instead of Egypt.

Mosquitoes are easy to kill.  But flies are smart critters.  They know a fly swat when they see one, and they know when to exit the room.  I’ve studied these beasts for a week, and I have figured out that you cannot outsmart a fly. 

I used to be squeamish about swatting flies.  I wouldn’t smear a fly on my window.  And nobody – but nobody! – had better wave a filthy fly swat in my kitchen.  As surely as my kids learned they’d better not drip Pepsi on the floor, they learned about my fly swat phobia.  If they brandished one in the kitchen, I screamed and sprayed disinfectant and wiped down all the counters, in case any dust from the nasty thing drifted down in the area.

Until now.

Last night, my daughter watched aghast as I jumped up from the sofa, ran into the kitchen, tore back with the fly swat, and smushed a fly on my lamp shade directly above her bowl of yogurt.  Pretty soon, in the kitchen, I wheeled around, grabbed the swatter, snuck up to the table, and laid a lightning slap on a fly and yelled, “I got him!”

Whether the change in this mom is permanent remains to be seen.  I’ve got the flies down to one or two now, I think.  I have killed two as I write this column.  I think.  Could I be hallucinating?  Do you think flies are capable of brainwashing humans?  My children look worried about me these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment